Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Welcome Back!

Welcome to the 2012-13 School Year!

A new year brings new energy, optimism and hope for great things.  I look forward to working with Pioneer's student musicians as we continue to build a legacy of great musical achievement.  I have ordered over 40 new pieces for Pep Band, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band and Orchestra and can't wait to get into them!

The first day of school will be full of information for students and parents. I will review the Instrumental Music Handbook in all my classes. This gives students and parents information regarding course expectations for grades, discipline and much more. Please take the time to review it as the last page is due back, signed by student and parent, Friday, August 24. On that page is also an order form for polo shirts and jackets. I have a complete sizing line for students to try on here in my room.
In addition to this, I will be going over the Spring 2013 Tour plans.  Please take time to read the information posted on the Tour 2013 page on my blog!  There is a Tour Contract there which must be filled out by every participant- one for each student and chaperone.  This form is not due until Friday, September 14 to allow families to plan carefully for this event, and to participate in at least one fundraiser.
Finally, I will collect information from students who may need school instruments so that I can begin to check those out as soon as possible.  No student can use a school instrument until I get a signed instrument contract back.

Thursday will be a day for checking out school instruments and going over basic procedures regarding instrument storage and such.  It is unlikely that we will be able to perform in any classes yet, though all students should bring their instruments.

On Friday, students will need a composition book as we will do our first Listening Log.  Since this is the first of the year, it will take the whole period for most of the classes.  I will also complete instrument checkout for all classes except Beginning Band.  Students will get a grade for having this in class- and it can't be made up later!

Next week- I hope to have all ensembles except Beginning Band playing in class on Monday! All students who need a tuxedo or dress will be fitted for those later in the week.  We will also have an opportunity for students interested in student leadership positions to run for those. Also coming up is our first football game- Friday, September 7.  For a complete schedule of this year's performances, be sure to review the 2012-13 Calendar which is linked at the top of the page.

A successful program is not only the work of students and a director, but also parent involvement.  If you are interested in working with our Boosters either in a leadership or support role, please contact me.  We need help in all sorts of areas, and you can volunteer for those things which interest you (or you could even expand your comfort zone, too).  We'll have meetings throughout the year and I will keep you informed as those come up.

A final note- I try to be as organized as possible and work to communicate as much information as I'm able.  I update this blog every week before school starts on Sunday night so that parents can have the information needed to ensure student success.  Please make it a point to check in often so that you can have the latest information for all student.