Sunday, August 14, 2011

Welcome Back!

Welcome to the 2011-2012 school year!  I'm excited to be back at Pioneer working with many new and returning young musicians.  With the new year comes new challenges, circumstances and opportunities for success.

Items of note- I know that the beginning of the year presents lots of new information, which is one reason I keep this blog all year long with information useful both to parents and students.  Please make a point to subscribe to or follow my blog, or check in every week.  I will post information at least weekly usually on Sunday evening before the week begins.

This week- All students will receive the Instrumental Music Handbook (my syllabus) on the first or second day of classes.  The back page (signature form and performing attire info) must be signed by student and parent and returned by this Friday, August 19.
On Monday, I will ask students who needs school instruments so that by Tuesday I can begin to get instruments into their hands.  I will also pass out a short survey.  Students may complete this in class, or may complete it at home and return it on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, students with summer instruments or their own instruments should bring them to school.
By Wednesday, all ensembles except Beginning Band will be playing in class.  Students who use a school instrument must return a signed contract for the instrument before I am able to allow a student to use the equipment.
On Wednesday or Thursday, we will hold elections for student leadership.
On Friday, the signature page of the handbook is due!  We will have our first in class listening assignment today as well.  Students must have a composition book (like they use for math, but without the grids) in class today.

Football kicks off early this year with our first game on Friday, September 2.  For this game, I will use Jazz Band and Wind Ensemble.  As our new polos and jackets will not be in yet, students may wear last year's polos and hoodies.  Students without those may wear other blue Pioneer attire.  Our next home game isn't until October, when Concert Band will join us and our new attire will be in.  For complete schedule info, click the 2011-2012 Calendar link here or above.

Need another class?  If you would like to TA, there are several periods where I could use your help.  If you would like to learn a new instrument, I can put you into an additional ensemble.  Let me know ASAP so that we can get your schedule set.

Parents- we need you, too!  The Pioneer Performing Arts cannot survive without active parent involvement.  We need parents of all kinds, some to be leaders, some with great ideas, some to lead events and many to work with those events.  Keep watching my blog for information about opportunities to connect with and support this program.